Title: Senior Database Administrator
Department: Technical Product Development
Type: Full Time / Permanent
Responsible for the ongoing performance, integrity, and security of the CyberGrants databases. Responsible for database planning, development, and troubleshooting. Uses knowledge of database management products and services to support the IT infrastructure. Monitors and supports database operations, and provides database administration tasks to ensure timely delivery of quality IT products and services. Possesses a thorough knowledge of database concepts, strategies, and methodologies as well as practices by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for implementation and release of database changes.
- Responsible for improvement and maintenance of the databases to include rollout and upgrades.
- Monitors database activity, performance, and capacity.
- Production maintenance and support on a rotating 24x7 schedule.
- Installs and patches database engine software.
- Monitors the database systems to ensure secure services with minimum downtime.
- Performs and monitors database backups for successful completion.
- Performs database performance tuning including indexing and optimizer strategies, stored procedures/triggers, partitioning, locking schemes, temporary spaces/sort areas, and memory management.
- Responds to problems quickly and document corrective action.
- Responsible for problem escalation to third parties as appropriate for support.
- Responsible for ensuring availability and performance of the databases that support the systems.
- Performs analysis and troubleshooting of queries and provides performance improvement recommendations and implementations.
- Responsible for working with the systems/network administrator to ensure that the associated hardware resources are efficiently allocated to the databases, to ensure high availability and optimum performance.
- Responsible for providing and reviewing trend analysis and makes informed decisions regarding resource management.
- Carry out Disaster Recovery cutover exercises and planning in conjunction with Operations staff
- Provides leadership support to Information Technology and Operations staff in capacity planning, the implementation of databases, and associated hardware and applications.
Education / Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A. / B. S.) from four-year college or university; or eight to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- 10+ years prior database administration required, preferably in an OLTP environment
- Any combination of Oracle, versions 10g – 12c
- Experience with MySQL a plus
- Experience in multi-tier architecture environment required
- High-level skills in database development/management software and general computer programming and demonstrated experience in database analysis, scoping, data and process mapping
- Experience with high availability architecture, including Oracle Data Guard, RAC, and GoldenGate
- Proficient with RMAN, Flashback, and Data Pump for backup
- Fundamental understanding of computer networking technologies such as protocols, and physical connectivity
- Solid understanding of disk and storage concepts and their impact on database performance
- Familiar with UNIX shell scripting
- Ability to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communications skills
For consideration, please send résumé & cover letter, with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.